mysterious part inside subpanel

jimmyATcofcFebruary 20, 2014

I have a question about a subpanel that I'm getting ready to use. The attached picture that I found on the web seems to be of an identical panel. My question is: what is the gadget that has the ground wires wrapped around it in this picture? Surely that is not its intended purpose.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That part is from something else. The panel probably has a label inside that specifies the proper ground bar kit. Easier to read before the panel is installed.

    Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 11:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That is a bonding jumper. When the panel is used for service equipment (main) you swing that down and push the round end into one of the holes on the neutral bus and tighten the screw back up, bonding the cabinet to the neutral. When it is used as a sub panel you remove it and install a proper ground bus or a lug to the cabinet, isolated from the neutral bus..

This post was edited by joefixit2 on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 0:21

    Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 12:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

JoeFixit nailed it. The only thing I would add is that wrapping the ground wire around this is NOT an approved way of grounding anything. You need to get an appropriate ground terminal and install it in the panel and land the ground on that.

The proper part can be had for under $10 from any electrical supply, online, or even many of the home centers.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 9:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

the panel is also installed illegally, among other things.... (backfed breaker isn't secured)
If mounted horizontal like that, on must be the up position, and off down.

Article 240.81 Indicating.
Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate
whether they are in the open âÂÂoffâ or closed âÂÂonâ position.
Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically
rather than rotationally or horizontally, the âÂÂupâ position of
the handle shall be the âÂÂonâ position.

This post was edited by hexus on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 19:20

    Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 7:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I think that one cable coming in is a load not the feeder. The panel is a "main lugs" panel which the two hots fill the two large terminals just to the right of the 20A breaker.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 9:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The lugs are empty. Unless this picture was taken before the feeder was pulled in and landed, it would have to be being energized via backfeeding the breaker.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 1:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I suspect the OP found the image at some "bad electrical installations" website.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Holy crap Jreagan. You're close. It's part of some potheads goofball grow light system....

You can read the rest of it's description at the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Potheads should stay away from electricity

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 11:36AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
Sponsored Products
Kimono Chandelier by George Kovacs
$410.00 | Lumens
Nourison Runner Rug: Modesto Reverie Multicolor 2' 2" x 7' 3"
$37.00 | Home Depot
Nourison Area Rug: Modesto Vines Ivory 3' 11" x 5' 3"
$56.97 | Home Depot
Design Toscano Holy Spirit Dove of Peace Bonded Marble Resin Wall Sculpture Mult
$55.95 | Hayneedle
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Nourison Rugs Spectrum Grey/Flame 2 ft. 6 in. x 7 ft. 6
$98.97 | Home Depot
Sanded champagne poeta prisma picture frame
Origin Crafts
Design Toscano Baroque Architectural Wooden Wall Decor - AE9202
$117.90 | Hayneedle
Ala Wall Lamp by Leucos Lighting
$403.38 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™