To pipe or not to pipe

alwaysadaylateAugust 16, 2013

I am making a bench cushion for a black u-shaped lounge bench in my son's room. I have put the fabric around a few bed pillows just to see what it would look like. The faux black piping you see in the picture is actually duct tape. The fabric is a grey with black specks.

What do you think? Piping or no piping?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EllaInspired

Piping makes it more modern and edgy where as a self-welt is traditional and classy, so go with your gut :)

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:28PM
alwaysadaylate

Thanks so much....my gut has been saying piping.....but my sewing skills are saying what the heck are you thinking????you can't sew!!!

My son's room is more modern. I attached a pic if his bed and bookcase. My husband is not done building his desk yet, but I would say it is definitely modern. So I guess piping it is!!

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:57PM
Laurie

Something to consider: the black piping may bother you if it's not straight or not lining up with other cushions on the u-shaped lounge bench.

I'm not that great at sewing piping onto cushions. My piping came out less than professional looking, so I was glad my piping was not a contrasting color.

I like your mock up...that is a good idea!
Keep us posted when your project is done.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 5:22PM
alwaysadaylate

Laurie_2008. I am so glad you pointed that out!!!you are absolutely right. my first piping project should not be this one. It will just have to be "pipingless"- I didn't even think about the piping matching up on the 3 different seat cushions!! Thanks!

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:22PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Pipe.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:42AM
theclose

Ohhhh, I love the piping!! But I understand wanting it to look perfect. Know anyone that can help you?

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:54AM
alwaysadaylate

I might be able to find a recruit to help.....:)

I needed to order additional fabric from Joanne's. So, I have to wait 4 - 6 weeks before the fabric is in to start this project.

Hopefully the fabric will come in earlier but not too early..I need some practice time. :)

Thanks so much for all the responses...It really helped. I will post a pic as soon as it is done!!

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:54PM
mitchdesj

I agree with Lsurie, piping should look perfect or else you might as well omit it.
a seamstress once explained to me how piping is done, she had a special attachment on her machine, and it's done on the bias then the finished lengths are assembled as needed, then sewed to the cushions.
I was then working in a fabric shop and I wanted to be able to justify the extra cost in labor and fabric to clients who questioned it.

I think your cushions will look great even without the piping, a relaxed look is very suited for your application.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
Bathroom Vanity Length
My Master Bath has a wall that is over 15 ft in length....
localeater
House exterior - cedar siding alternative?
I love the look of horizontal cedar slats, and would...
juno_barks
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
aluminum prints in bathroom
has anyone had experience with keeping aluminum prints...
soccerfan15
Hutch/Desk Combo for Small Condo
I'm planning to move into a small condo where every...
Cassandra
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Shower Power Stand
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Ziggy Diamond Green Outdoor Lumbar Pillow
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Twisted Mother of Pearl Crystal Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Florence Knoll Style Sectional-Red - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Arthur Pouf - Nos Da Coral Almond - Donna Wilson, SCP
$775.00 | HORNE