Need to turn off 2 circuit breakers to turn off fixture

goldenretriever51February 3, 2013

We recently moved into a 1950s home. In trying to replace a fixture, we discovered that in order to turn off the power to it we need to switch off 2 circuit breakers. At least one other fixture is wired this way too. I've never encountered this before.

Is this just how they wired things in the 50s? Is this a safety hazard or just an unusual but safe method? Is it easy to fix? Is it an issue with how the wires are connected to the box or is it the wiring behind the walls?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Tell us the make and model of the breakers. That may indicate that the panel was swapped after the house was initially built. The condition is dangerous for multiple reasons. When I have found this problem, it often was that two circuits went to a wall box and got tied together. In cases like this both circuits feeding that fixture(s) must be on the same pole of the service in order not to create a dead short circuit. Find and discontinue the interconnection.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:40PM
brickeyee

What are you measuring voltage with?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:52AM
goldenretriever51

The panel has been replaced, about 20 years ago. I'm not using anything to check voltage - literally the light stays on unless you switch off both breakers. I won't be doing any work on this myself - I am just trying to figure out how big of a mess I've got on my hands and how urgently it needs to be addressed.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™