Question on coping base molding

prime81March 16, 2009

I'm just learning how to cope, and I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I have a question on how to cope a particular piece of molding.

It's this molding:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29946-1487-6238FBDPM&lpage=none

I'm having a hard time creating a perfect coped joint, because the top of the molding is flat. The way I've done it, the coped piece of molding is having to slightly rest on top of the other piece (~1mm). Is there a solution to coping moldings with flat tops?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

I make a double back cut for that situation. Back cut the top into the beginning of the face, and then back cut the face. Takes a bit of practice----I learned to leave the top backcut a bit long as it is easier to shorten the top than the face.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 9:25AM
sombreuil_mongrel

You can leave a wafer-thin portion of the miter at the very top of the coped piece, then lay that over the butted piece so it resembles a miter. If you try it, you'll need a real steady hand to cut it and not lose the paper-like tail of wood. Most of us never worry about making base that perfect, because it's just base.
Casey

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 7:06PM
sierraeast

"Most of us never worry about making base that perfect, because it's just base."

Maybe on paint grade, but stained base needs to be dead on!

You can cut the coping a little strong leaving some material to be filed to get your edge. Takes more time and patience, but you'll get a nice joint.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 11:08AM
sombreuil_mongrel

I obviously did a poor job explaining what I meant, which was this: regular workmanlike coping is adequate for baseboards, and leaving the miter tip at the peak is probably overkill. Such detail is best left for piano cases and jewelry boxes.
I'm not advocating sloppy work.
Casey

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 8:54PM
prime81

Thanks for all your advice!

I was hoping there was an easier way, but I guess I will have to be patient and work with what I've got :P.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 10:34PM
sierraeast

Sorry for my misunderstandin', Casey. I need to sharpen my pencil!

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™