best hinge for inset kitchen doors

ezbakeFebruary 12, 2007

We need a high quality hinge for inset kitchen cabinet doors that is self-closing.

My husband wants the self-closing and a hinge that will protect the cabinets from the abuse children might put on the cabinets. I prefer the exposed pin look. Is there such a hinge that is exposed pin that is high quality, self-closing for inset doors? (We have incredibly cheap exposed hinges now that the doors are turning on/getting crooked, and one hinge has already broke and our kitchen remodel is not even yet complete!!!)

Thanks for your ideas!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
russmahogany

I don't know about self closing but check Ball and Ball or Whitecastle.

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 4:44AM
sombreuil_mongrel

I think you would need to use a blum hinge (euro hinge) and a "fake hinge plate" to give the illusion of mortised hinges. At least it's twice as much work as either kind by itself. AFAIK, there's no self-closing mortise or non-mortise butt-type hinges.
Casey

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 2:28PM
ezbake

Thanks guys! I had a feeling about there being no such thing as self-closing mortise or non-mortise butt-type hinges....your idea of a fake hinge plate was one my husband mentioned.... sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll go ahead and get the blum hinges and go without the exposed hinges. Sounds like they would make it easier to adjust the cabinets and get the doors properly aligned. Thank you so much for your help.

p.s. what is AFAIK?

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 3:54PM
sombreuil_mongrel

as far as I know...

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 4:31PM
ezbake

Thanks!

Bookmark   February 14, 2007 at 9:37AM
russmahogany

Take a look at Whitecastle, Horton Brass, and Ball and Ball's web sights and if you can, call them for a catalogue. They make the finest hinges in the industry and even if you don't order from them their catalogues are a trip in themselves.

Bookmark   February 14, 2007 at 12:15PM
five_ducks

Here is some good info on concealed hinges. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: theDIYsource.com

Bookmark   February 17, 2007 at 7:27PM
birdie_21

Hey Guys
If you want a traditional hinge look, but you want to use a concealed hinge, check out my EuroButt II hinge at
www. eurobuttsystemshinge. com

I'm a cabinetmaker in NJ. I invented this faux hinge in 1996. We just completed several improvements and we also have 5 finishes.

Good luck to all.
Birdie Miller

Here is a link that might be useful: EuroButt System hinge decorative hinge trim for concealed hinges

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 2:18PM
mongoct

I've done several kitchens and libraries using hinges along the same idea as Birdie's idea.

Use 32mm euro hinges as the actual operating mechanism and a modified butt hinge for decorative purposes.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™