Which glass grinder

Mags438August 6, 2014

Hi all, I'm looking to replace some of my 18 yr old glass equipment. I had a mid-range inland grinder that needs replacement. I've narrowed it down to the glastar all star g8 or the inland wizard IV.

I've been away from stained glass for a few years. Which one would you purchase? Any particular reason why? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toomuchglass

I've had my little cheap inland grinder and it's going on 20 years of beating it to death and it still works like new ! I've probably ground over 5,000 pieces when I did shows,mosaics and wholesaled my glass stuff. I used it so much,I have a foot pedal hooked up (like a sewing machine) so I don't have to keep turning it off and on. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat !

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 1:41PM
Mags438

Thanks for ur response toomuchglass. My old inland grinder is being replaced. I've narrowed my choices down to wizard iv or glastar's all star. Any thoughts on either of these? It seems the wizard is MIA at most web sites, so it may be the all star by default.

The foot pedal sounds interesting. Does it require it's own outlet or can it 'piggy back' off the grinder power cord? Thanks

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:21AM
toomuchglass

I haven't heard any bad things about the grinders your considering - so I suppose that's good ! My foot pedal has a cord that that plugs right into the wall socket. On top of that same plug is a place to plug the grinder cord into. So you have 2 cords going into one electric plug. That foot pedal is a life saver instead of turning it on and off all the time !

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:49PM
Mags438

Toomuchglass, I'll have to put the foot pedal on my list for future purchase. (I have a limited number of outlets in my glass space). My old inland grinder would shock me when turning on/off, so I'm going to upgrade now.

It does feel good to talk about glass to like-minded folks; not everyone can relate. :-). I've spent way too long @ the kitchen forums :-), so it's good to get back to other things I used to enjoy. Thanks much.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:03PM
toomuchglass

We can gab glass forever to each other ...LOL Welcome !

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:19PM
silvamae

I'm happy with my Glastar Superstar II.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 11:07AM
Mags438

@toomuchglass: how long is the foot pedal cord that you use with grinder? I think it's calling my name! :-)

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™