Anderson 400 casement versus Marvin?

dgmarieJuly 7, 2010

Am about to make a very expensive decision and wanted a last bit of opinion...

We leaned toward Marvin Ultimates for replacing our casements and also looked at Anderson 400 series. I've read on here about Marvin and people love them. But is Anderson 400 in a casement so terrible?

We're leaning toward Anderson because we can get the interiors pre finished in white for about $10,000 less than Marvin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgmarie

I wanted to add the cost difference is not from the windows themselves but the painting. The Marvins come primed and the window company wants $150 per window to take all the hardware off and spray them in a spray booth. The Andersons come painted.

We've had a bad experience with painting windows (by professionals) in the past and hate to ruin them with paint sticking etc.

Are we crazy to consider the Andersons? PS: I just learned the cladding on Andersen isn't aluminum but PVC and wondering if that would be a no no in my Northern (zone 5) climate.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 3:30PM
tube

I've seen the pvc crack over time on the Anderson's. They are a good window but a step down from the Marvin. I would not call them an apple to apples comparison. The 400 series is closer the the Marvin Integrity series which can come prefinished white. $150 to paint is high in my opinion. I pay my painter 50-75 a window to paint. If done before they are installed sticking isn't a problem if they are given proper time to dry.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 9:52PM
dgmarie

Thanks Tube.

The $150 is because they have to completely disassemble all the hardware completely and then spray booth them and then reinstall all the hardware.

It turnedout the prepainted Anderson are actually the same price as the painted Marvins.

We've decided to go with the prepainted Marvins and just be done with this. We're already spending a ridiculous amount of money and don't want to now have to find and hire a good painter.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Best Window for Seasonal Cabin
I am building a small cabin in northeast Wisconsin...
mjlambert08
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Anderson Design Group Fleece Throw Blanket - 13565-FLELAR
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Anderson Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Alpine Anderson Dinette Table With Extension Leaf
Beyond Stores
Anderson's Forge Medium Outdoor Pendant
$424.00 | Bellacor
Anderson Walnut Finish Twin Bed
Overstock.com