How do I set the right depth for a lap joint?

steve22802February 28, 2009

I'm trying to cut lap joints to join 2x4's using a table saw and dado blade but I'm having a hard time getting the depth to be exactly half the thickness of a 2x4. Does anyone have any handy tricks for getting the blade dept set correctly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Mark a line on the end of a scrap piece---a line that is 1/2 the width. Set that piece against the saw blade and use the line to set the height of the dado set. Run the piece through. Use a secaond piece and run through, putting the two together for a test. Adjust the height according to the fit.

But, all 24's are not necessarily the same thickness, so there will be variations for different sizes as well as twist, which changes the depth as well.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 8:31PM
steve22802

Thanks! This isn't a high precision project but it's always nice when things fit together well. :)

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:28PM
mike_kaiser_gw

The first thing you should realize that unless you size your 2x4's you're going to have problems. Off the shelf 2x4's are not dimensioned exactly and moisture levels will change the thickness as well.

Beyond that, for a perfect fit set the blade a just bit below the halfway point and sneak up on the final dimension by making test cuts.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™