how to refinish

crazyoneFebruary 18, 2013

I did this old magazine rack years ago. I stripped the dark finish and stain it natural and then just waxed with minwax paste. now years later after more use the finish is wearing and slightly water marked.

I realize I was probably supposed to reapply regular but it was in a room never used, in our new home it is used more often .

should i restrip top or is there a simple liquid I can wipe over to remove the wax and restore.TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Bob Flexner says, "A wax finish is the closest thing you can get to no finish at all." But you know this now.

In addition the the stain you used has a minimal amount of some finish (varnish, probably if from a big box store) to act as a binder to hold the powdered pigment in place until coated with a film-forming finish. If it's a "natural" stain, then it has no pigment and is just a thinned binder. I am not sure why they even sell this except as a thinning agent for the rest of the stains in the line (or to get you to buy yet another product).

Mineral spirits (paint thinner) or naphtha can remove some of the wax as they are a solvent for it. The difference between them is naphtha is a step higher on on the fractional distillation of petroleum, so it is less oily and evaporates faster. Not a big concern. Use clean rags and move to a fresh surface frequently, or use paper blue shop towels on a roll. You could also use lacquer thinner that has a slightly higher solvency factor.

After that, you can use a wiping varnish. You could also use an oil-varnish blend, but that will be less protective and an "in the wood finish" (no appreciable film build) You are not likely to find any product labeled as such, though. See the link. Either is about a foolproof a finish as you can get as long as you don't apply too thickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facts about oil finishes

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Wood Countertop Oil? Tung vs Mineral
I am going in 2 different directions for my Island...
2LittleFishies
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
Fence construction & what to use for finish
My fence is coming along nicely! Started last fall...
kashka_kat
Sponsored Products
C.R. Plastic Generation Addy Dining Arm Chair
$349.99 | LuxeDecor
Serena & Lily Cut Circle Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Tech Lighting | Fluid Square Large Ceiling Light
$214.40 | YLighting
Design Element London 78" Modern Double Bathroom Vanity - Pearl White
Modern Bathroom
Starburst LED Chandelier by BlackJack Lighting
$2,655.00 | Lumens
Polka Dot Retro Swimsuit Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
2 Lights Square Wood Frame Island Light with Frosted Glass Diffuser
ParrotUncle
Americh Wright 6636 Tub (66" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™