Looking for feedback for Window quotes (Inifinity and/or Alside)

hautingluJuly 25, 2010

So I'm at a point where I'm ready to replace windows, but the caveat being is I don't need high-end, Gucci windows....and here's why:

-Upstairs: I plan on having roommates next Spring, so I need just basic, but decent quality (probably vinyl). I might catch some heat for this, but what's the point of putting nice wood windows for someone else's enjoyment. Maybe in 10-20 yrs they will be replaced anyways. (First 3 pictures in the link below)

-Downstairs: I'm thinking of maybe going a bit higher-end on the 1st floor windows. The metal windows REALLY need to go asap, but the other wood windows I'm thinking of keeping....heck, with roommates the heating cost is only 1/3 =) And since the house doesn't have insulation (it's 100+ yrs old), so I really need the tightest windows?

(The rest of the metal windows and original wood/casement in the link below)

Pictures from a previous post:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0320361313038.html

Quote I: Quote from last winter when I was just shopping around. Came from an established window installer. Recommended a mix of new construction and inserts Anderson 400's throughout the house. At 26 windows, came out about $26,000. Others on here said to pass (too high $), so I kept looking.

Quote II: Guy came last week, they do Alside Excalibur and Marvin Infinity fiberglass. He quoted:

1. Upstairs: 11 Excalibur vinyl double hungs, white color, fused welded frames and sashes, aluminum reinforced meeting rails, double pane, low E argon, half screens. $5484

2. Downstairs:

a. Living room - 7 Excalibur vinyl double hungs $3479 (rusty metal windows), -OR- 7 Marvin Infinity $6011

b. Den, Kitchen, Dining room - I'm still debating replace these, 6 total windows:. (2) two-section Infinity fiberglass casement, (1) one-section Infinity fiberglass casement, and (3) Infinity fiberglass double hungs. $6516, -OR- the same but in the Alside Excalibur $3962.

From my readings here, I should pass on the Alside's. The Inifity's I could probably justify, but not upstairs. Is there a middle ground for the vinyl upstairs? I'm having another company come in Thursday, but I suspect I'll need one more.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Your contractor sells Alside and Infinity? That is a first. You couldn't find two window aimed at different spectrum of the buying public.

Infinities are at least 2X the window that the Excalibur is.

Do they sell a better vinyl that compares a bit more favorably to the Infinity?

The Excalibur is a poor choice to say the least.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hautinglu

Any thoughts on Vinylmax windows? Having a guy come out to get another quote and I believe from their site they install these.

http://www.vinylmax.com

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
Replacement windows. okna vs alside
I have contracted for home window replacement with...
thebinns
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Sponsored Products
37" POLYWOOD Square Nautical Bar Table
Fifthroom.com
Hamilton Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Natural bleu d?chine placemats (olive/green), set of 4
Origin Crafts
Crosley Troubadour Entertainment Center - CR7002A-PA
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Jet Set Giclee Brushed Steel Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus