Water on oil polyurethane?

woodswellFebruary 24, 2008

I had some shelves made for my kitchen but the man did not finish the job. He used Minwax oil based polyurethane to spray the frames and some of the shelves - some shelves were never sprayed at all.

I am trying to complete the project but would prefer to use water based poly as the final coat or two. (I had told the carpenter this but he ignored me. ;-( )

Can I use water based over the oil poly or should I just stick to oil based to complete this project?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amrad

You should be able to do it, but I would stick to oil based if you started with that. I have never been fond of the Water Based Poly.

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 11:06PM
coreymeyer

If it has oil based poly on now, use oil base. Water base will more than likely fail or chip off if you hit the surface with something.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 10:03PM
woodswell

Thanks - I knew that was the answer but was hoping I could get away with it. ;-)

And now that I am ready to varnish of course the weather is not cooperating - too much rain or too cold to varnish outside, or even varnish inside and open the windows. Oh well, I've only been waiting since November for these shelves to be finished. I can wait a little longer.

Thank you again!

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™