pop up electrical outlet for kitchen island

kbandmeFebruary 24, 2008

I was watching HGTV and so a electrical outlet that poped up

out of the island (hidden until needed) I was wondering if

anyone knows where I can find something like this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjoh878646

wiremold/legrand manufacturers them. See the link for the hgtv website description.

Here is a link that might be useful: pop up recptacles

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 10:00PM
heimert

There are plenty of these. Keep in mind that they don't generally satisfy the code requirement for an outlet on the island.

(I hadn't seen the kitchen specific one on the link below before)

Here is a link that might be useful: A bunch more from Mockett

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 9:42AM
shannonplus2

Here is the discussion on the Message board of NACHI (the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors). The second page of the thread is particularly relevant - seems like most are saying they wouldn't be OK with it meeting Code.

Setting aside that the Power Gromett would likely not pass Code Inspection, there were some threads on the Kitchens Forum (since fallen off) about the difficulty of cutting the hole in the countertop for these grommets. If the hole is not cut absolutely precisely right, with little margin for error, the grommet either won't fit, or there'll be too much room and things will fall through.

Here is a link that might be useful: NACHI Forum Discussion on Power Grommets

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 7:18PM
joed

I read through that discussion and no one picked up on the fact that the unit is only rated for 15 amps. Counter receptacles are 20 amps.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 9:35AM
normel

In the US, the circuit has to be 20A, the receptacles can be 15A as long as there is more than one. And I read the first link as having 15 OR 20A receptacles available.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 10:09AM
billhart

Wow. The guys on that inspectors forum seem to take great joy in finding interpretations making something illegal. So you might have some trouble getting it past your local inspector and would need to ask beforehand.

It looks to me like it should meet the intent if you had enough of them to match the standard fixed receptacle requirement, and if the UL testing covered the specific type of installation.

I don't see why they are comparing this to an extension cord from another room. If the UL testing covered the flexible cord as part of the device, I see no added hazard. You aren't going to overload it, walk on it, or trip over it. Some of them even seemed to be ok with the safety of the cord, but wouldn't count it as meeting the requirement for a kitchen counter. Seems to me if you have the required number always available for use, how it is connected is unimportant.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 11:50PM
paredown

My extended countertop is under a a low window & I could not add a wall outlet to meet the 4' rule without hitting framing behind the wall.

Looks like the Mockett receptacle will not meet the requirements for the 4' rule since it comes with a cord, and hence is considered a "tap".

I found this pop-up one from LEW that does have the UL code that will meet the countertop requirement--although it is not cheap, I have no other choice. Look partway down the page for the PUP-CT-BK (black) or PUP-CT-SS for stainless. Still checking the install details

Here is a link that might be useful: LEW pop-up Receptacle

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 9:48AM
brickeyee

"I don't see why they are comparing this to an extension cord from another room."

The kitchen counter receptacles are a very specific code rule, and the cordage for a plug in item is not generally allowed in concealed permanent installations.

Since they are cord and plug connected they do not meet the intent of the NEC for permanent receptacles serving the kitchen wall-counter space.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 11:53AM
hexus

why are you quoting and replying to a post from Feb of 2008?

That bored?

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Bath fan/light combo
Attached is wiring diagram of masterbath (I hope I...
jaspol
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Sponsored Products
Modern Chrome Round Rain Shower Faucet with Hand Shower
TheBathOutlet
Paris Dining Side Chair in Orange
$120.00 | LexMod
White 16 inch Elite Stackable Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Kani Polished Nickel Five-Light Island Pendant with Ruby Matte Glass
$738.00 | Bellacor
Rockford Carbon Black Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Drop Chair - Plastic by Fritz Hansen