clear filler for large open knots?

vondabFebruary 8, 2008

I am having a kitchen island top built out of some really cool old oak boards (2" thick) I pulled out of the hay loft of my ooooold barn. I had them remilled, to some degree, to straighten them and remove the "gunk" but they still have plenty of "character"! I had barely enough for the top so wasn't able to cut out a few big open knots in one board in particlar. The guy at the lumber yard said there's a product that I can use to fill these that dries clear, hard, and smooth, but he didn't know what it was called, naturally. I sure hope he is right because if not, I'll be vaccuming a lot of crumbs out of those deep holes! Any suggestions?? TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I have seen epoxy used this way. Some people even embed things like turquoise chips or gold flakes in them.

The other option is to use bondo, tinted dark or black.

Before you commit to your project, drill a hole in some scrap wood and test it out to make sure you're happy with the result.

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 6:41PM
vondab

Thank you!

Are all epoxies the same?

I'm afraid I've already committed... =) It's practically finished! Just have to cut the radius and the sink cutout, and then fill those holes! =)

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 8:07AM
bobismyuncle

I regularly use a number of epoxies. I have a 5 minute and 30 minute liquid (T-88), several gels, and a number of putties (with microbeads and color). Although they are chemically similar, some have an amber cast (which can be a good or bad thing), some are more opaque than others. They also make a bar-top type epoxy that is poured on and left as a finish.

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 8:42AM
vondab

bobsmyuncle... where do I look for the epoxies you mentioned? I checked Lowe's and nothing they have dries clear like glass. Totally ignorant here. Thanks...

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 12:47PM
abnorm

Here's a clear bar top coating.....available at hardware and craft stores everywhere.........check "Where to Buy"

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Envirotex

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Fence construction & what to use for finish
My fence is coming along nicely! Started last fall...
kashka_kat
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Wood Countertop Oil? Tung vs Mineral
I am going in 2 different directions for my Island...
2LittleFishies
Sponsored Products
Alabaster Rocks Brushed Nickel 12.5-Inch LED Cylindrical Finial Wall Sconce
$310.00 | Bellacor
Naples Satin Nickel Five-Light Pendant with 11-Foot Black Cord with Clear Glass
Bellacor
Vintage 52-Inch Polished Brass Ceiling Fan
$122.55 | Bellacor
Stilo Satin Nickel One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and
$157.50 | Bellacor
Primo Chrome Thirty-Two Light Three-Tier 30-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear
Bellacor
Solaris Six-Light English Bronze Chandelier
Bellacor
Porcelina Matte Black Two-Light Cylindrical Finial Wall Sconce with Waterfall Sh
$198.00 | Bellacor
Possini Euro Design 15-Light Glass Orbs Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™