Hiding cord safely

DBCnycFebruary 27, 2011

I need to find a way to get electricity to a seating area that floats in the middle of a room and would very much like to avoid installing floor outlets.

I know it's never recommended to run a cord under a rug--particularly where it could be walked over--to avoid overheating and damage from friction. Can one, however, safely run a simple lighting cord through a low profile conduit under a rug? For example, this conduit: http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/economical.htm#8781 Or does this not provide enough protection? (Or will rug overtop cause too much unwanted insulation? BTW, it's only for 2 75-watt bulbs, not heavy-duty equipment of any kind).

If this isn't an option, any other thoughts? (Ceiling lights not an option).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

The safest and most attractive way to solve your problem is to install a floor receptacle where you need the power.

For a temporary installation, what you're looking for is Corduct (or something similar). You tuck the cord into it and lay or stick it on the floor.

If I understand correctly, Corduct is supposed to be laid OVER the carpet, not under it. I don't know of a product that's approved for protecting a cord under a carpet.

The link below is for illustration, not an endorsement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corduct

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 9:54PM
kudzu9

DBCnyc-
I'd definitely try to go with floor receptacles and not ever have to worry about it afterwards. How difficult is it to get access to the floor from the underside?

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 3:08PM
bus_driver

Something in this line might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlon

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™