Where to buy window frame moldings?

HenryHallJuly 24, 2011

I thought it might be relatively easy to make a storm-proof (hurricane proof?) window for my detached garage. I envisage a picture window (non-opening window) with toughened or armored glass of some kind.

I was hoping I could buy somewhere a timber molding (no bigger than 2X2 in cross section) that is already rebated and milled. Rebated and milled for use as part of a non-opening window frame.

So I would just have to cut four pieces to the exact length, miter the corners and I would have a finished frame ready for preservative treatment, mounting in place and fitting a pane of glass (or two panes?) to the wood already shaped when I bought it.

I thought it would be easy to find such timber, but I have not found any. Does anyone know a supplier? Ideally in Florida or who will do mail-order in the USA.

thaks in in anticipation, Henry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

In my 39n yrs in the lumber and millwork industry I have never seen or heard of something like this. Also I have doublts that a "timber molding (no bigger than 2X2 in cross section)" would be strong enough to make a "storm-proof (hurricane proof?) window".

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 11:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HenryHall

Thank you for the response millworkman. I appreciate it.

For one thing it makes me feel OK about using larger section lumber. It is a nuisance having to rebate it myself though.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Window won't stay up
This is the rail next to the top sash: This is the...
oh42
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Marvin Integrity/Sherwin Williams
Hi Not sure if this has been posted before but this...
sheila512
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™