wiring a jacuzzi tub

scalawagyFebruary 21, 2010

Hi all I'm installing a jetted jacuzzi tub in my second floor bath. The tub has a pump motor and an in line heater. Both call for separate 15 amp gfci protected circuits. The outlets for these will be under the tub, accessible, but not without some effort. Am I wrong in planning to use gfci breakers, rather than outlets?

Secondly, both units call for a #8 solid copper bonding wire routed back to the service panel or other approved location. Can one wire bond both the pump and heater? Would the cold water copper pipe at the tub be an approved location?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

GFI breakers and regular receptacles would be the best bet, for just the accessibility reason you stated.

The #8cu solid DOES NOT have to go back to a service panel. it is a BOND, not a ground.
The #8 has to connect to the motor, heater housing and any metallic water pipes associated with the tub.

I just did one this week with all PVC piping on the tub and all PEX feed lines. The #8 went from the motor lug to the heater lug. That's IT.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 7:02PM
scalawagy

Thanks, Petey Racer, for the info. But it leaves me a bit confused.

In your situation, if there hadn't been a heater, would you have bonded the pump to any thing?

Guess I need to school myself on the difference between bonding and grounding. I have considered them to be similar. In this case, I thought, that bonding the pump and heater housing with the copper wire gives an errant charge in the housing a path to follow, hopefully away from a person in a tub of water.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 8:55PM
scalawagy

I just read the thread "bonding vs. grounding. I'll read it a few more times, and I might get it.

Thanks, you people are great!

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™