lizard cage plans

mocknbirdFebruary 4, 2013

Can anybody offer plans (or a source) for a lizard cage / hutch / vivarium? My son's bearded dragon is outgrowing his initial 40 gal. fishtank home and I would like to build him a permanent home. I have a strong preference for using stock materials, as I don't have easy access to a table saw. thks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Presuming you are going to make transparent sides, what do you envision making them from -- glass, acrylic (Plexiglas), polycarbonate (Lexan), or something else?

How water resistant does it need to be (thinking of spilled water and urine)?

If you don't know, you should browse the web site below. I stop in there regularly when I'm traveling I-75.

Here is a link that might be useful: US Plastic

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 5:37PM
mocknbird

The front would be transparent but the rest of the cage would be wood. If there is too much glass then the lizard is constantly engaging in a stand-off with the lizard in the reflection.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:36AM
bobismyuncle

If you don't have access to many tools (e.g., table saw, router, etc., I suggest you go with plywood. If you have a circular saw or want to cut by hand, or have a friend with a table saw that owes you a favor, you can buy a sheet or half-sheet. If you don't, the big box stores normally have a bin of half, quarter, and eighth sheets. I'd go with at least 5/8" thick. BCX would work if you want to go inexpensive; poplar if you want paint-grade. Baltic birch would be up-scale.

You can simply butt and nail or screw the edges together and add a glue bock of 1x1 or some quarter-round molding if you want. On the front, add two moldings separated by the thickness of your "transparent panel," glue and nail them in place on both sides and bottom. Then slide your panel in from the top.

Paint or varnish the outside wood. Leave the inside unfinished or a light coat of shellac (Bullseye Aerosol would work). Or if you want, paint a scene inside to resemble desert, rain forest, or wherever these things live.

Add a screen , hardware cloth, or plywood top to your liking.

That's what I'd do.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:56AM
mocknbird

that is helpful. thanks.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™