Puck light problems - causes?
We recently had a new kitchen installed, with halogen puck lights recessed under the cabinets. Within a couple of weeks 5 out of 11 were functioning intermittently or not at all. The electrician determined that the fault was inside of the light, not at his connection and replaced all 11 with a different brand (xenon this time). 2 of these failed within a month. I also noticed that the plastic trim had started to yellow already. He replaced the 2 failed units - however again one light has failed. It is not the bulb, but rather the internal wiring - sometimes a firm tap will get the light going.
Is it possible that the problem is with the small transformers supplied with the original lights? Could faulty transformers allow them to heat up too much and degrade the wiring? Should I require the electrician try changing these? It will be a pain to do as the garbage disposal is now in the way.
I would love to know if anyone has had similar issues, or has any suggestions. We did consider LED pucks at the time, but they were too dim for our needs, and I was not fond of the colours available.