Mushrooms growing on side of outside window

pegmusJuly 20, 2010

We having been building a house on the river for three years (we are the contractors as we basically let our "contractor" go after he had the house under roof but unfortunately AFTER he installed the windows.). The Anderson 400 series has been installed for most of this time.

We have a very large tilt window with a circle window at top that faces our back deck and over the weekend, my husband noticed a couple of small "mushrooms" growing out of the bottom right corner of this window. Also, he noticed some "rust" dots going down the facing of the window on that side, too. Of course, now he is worried that there may be leakage going on behind the window frame.

Can anyone tell us if there is any "wood" in these windows so that if there is leaking or water running into the back of the window, there could be "rot" beginning thus the "mushrooms".

Any ideas on what this could be? We have Hardie Plank siding so hving to take the window out would be "horrible"!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

There is wood behind that window. It is a vinyl clad wood window.

I have similar mushrooms on some of my windows.

Remove the mushrooms first. Allow the section to dry out thoroughly. You can then apply a sealant of your choosing. Silicon is best but it probably attracts dirt the most when compared to other sealants.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Adding SDL muntins to Exterior Only Windows
We are building a custom home along the coast in Galveston,...
shellismith
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
Marvin Integrity/Sherwin Williams
Hi Not sure if this has been posted before but this...
sheila512
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™