Talavera Tile Outdoors?

loribee2August 17, 2010

I just bought some beautiful Mexican talavera tiles. They came from a site that allows you to buy individual tiles at a good price (80 cents for a 4"X4"). Shipping was reasonable and I got them quickly. I just tried cutting one and it cut easily and clean. I think I'm in love!

I'll be using them to make an outdoor mosaic table top that will get weather, though our climate is mild (Zone 10). Does anyone have experience with how well these tiles hold up in the weather? Websites claim in mild climates they're fine, but we do get a little frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

What happens to tiles is they are porous and the cut edges absorb water. when it freezes the water in the pores of the tile expands and pops off the glaze. If you dont get freezes I personally would try it. but maybe others who live in your climate will chime in.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 9:24PM
texaswild

I live in zone 7 - 8, and I use them outside w/no problem - even in our worst winter last year. The only tiles I've seen affected by the extreme winter we had was the ones I cut from hand-painted plates - bought at World Market in Dallas - made in China. The paint came off in small places - not totally - and can be touched up w/porcelain paint. Like WACKY says - depeneds on your climate.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 8:59AM
loribee2

Thanks for the response! It's what I was hoping I'd hear, as I love these tiles--the price, the colors, and how easy they are to cut. But since just about everything I'm making will be outside, I wanted to double-check. Can't wait till I have a finished project to show off!

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™