motion sensor vs door jamb switch- confused, please help.

illinigirlFebruary 16, 2014

I went into my electrical walkthrough asking for motion sensor lights for my pantry and master closet. But the electrician is trying to talk me into door jamb activated lights instead. Why is he doing this?

One thing he said that confused me is that the sensors only work 180 degrees so that I would have to walk pretty deep into my closet before the light came on. What is he talking about?

What knowledge can I arm myself with before seeing him again on Monday (tomorrow). Thanks for helping!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

With a door jamb switch, the light will come on when you open the door and go off when you close it.
With a motion sensor switch, it must be positioned where it can 'see' you for it to turn on the light. That position can be tricky if it is possible to put something between it and you. If it's a walk-in closet or pantry, it would have to see you everywhere you might be while in there so the light wouldn't turn off when the switch loses sight of you.
I'd go with the jamb switch. JMHO

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:38PM
illinigirl

ok I guess that makes some sense.....what if they are motion sensors on a timer? then it would turn on when it "sees" me and stay on for say 5 minutes or whatever the timer is set for? what about override? dont the motion sensors have an override button?

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:55PM
jreagan_gw

The motion sensors can be added afterwards and I like them better than jamb sensors. However, just note that motion sensors often require a neutral at the switch location. Make sure you have one.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 9:11AM
joefixit2

"However, just note that motion sensors often require a neutral at the switch location. Make sure you have one."

Hopefully they are on the 11 code where this is required.
404.2(C) with certain exceptions

This post was edited by joefixit2 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 20:07

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 8:05PM
weedmeister

I have these both in my pantry and laundry room. I added them myself. They are not the wall switch type, but actually screw into the light socket with the sensor mounted separately.

The one I linked here is a wireless version. Mine are wired. The cord from the sensor to the socket is maybe 18" long.

Here is a link that might be useful: wireless motion sensor

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™