How to wire two lights and an outlet on the same circuit

tacticsFebruary 25, 2014

Hi folks,

I've spent hours trying to rewire my bathroom to no avail. Here's what I have: I have two lights, a switch, a GFCI outlet, and a single power source. I want the GFCI to be powered at all times, and the two lights to be controlled with the switch. I've attached a diagram showing all the components, and numbered the wires in the event that the answer is as simple as "connect 2 and 5, 3 and 1", etc. I've intentionally left all the ground wires out of the illustration just for simplicity. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Connect the neutrals: 2, 4, 6, 9 together.

Connect 1, 5, and 7 together

Connect 10, 3, and 8 together.

That is the best. It's typically not legal under the later codes since you don't provide a neutral at the switch (but you don't appear to have enough wires to do it right).

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:59PM
greg_2010

Is the bathroom all open? Can you have more wires than you showed in your picture.
This is one way to wire it up. There are tons of different ways.
The best way would also involve knowing the actual physical location of the various components so that the minimal length of wire is used.

Note: At the GFCI, you'd probably want to pigtail the wires together as opposed to feeding through the GFCI which would put the switch/lights on the load side. If the GFCI trips, you probably don't want the lights to go out too.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:11AM
bus_driver

Introducing confusion is not helpful.Nothing proposed in the first two posts has the GFCI protecting anything other than the receptacles within it.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 10:51AM
greg_2010

Sorry ... I didn't mean to confuse things. I just realised that after I drew the picture that it might look like I intended the GFCI to feed the switch, which isn't what I'd meant. So I was trying to clear up any confusion that my picture might have presented, without going through the bother of re-drawing it.

And I didn't mean to infer that there was anything wrong with ron's reply. I just didn't necessarily interpret the OP's post as meaning that all of the wires were already run. If they haven't already been run, then the way I presented is just another option with the added bonus that the switch has a neutral.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™