Installing kitchen cabinet door & drawer knobs

africanboyFebruary 13, 2014

1) I was about to start staining my cabinet doors and drawer fronts but should I first drill the knob holes?

2) I do not want to use pulls. I want all the doors and drawers to have brushed nickel knobs which I have already bought from Amazon. I need to install 14 in total. In terms of a guide for drilling the knob screw holes, I'm planning on buying these templates which are available at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_273758-81227-AN0201C-G-Q1_0__?productId=3473957&Ntt=template&pl=1�tURL=%3FNtt%3Dtemplate&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=273756-81227-AN0200C-G-Q1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3473955&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Home Depot has templates but they're a bit more expensive and did not look as simple to use as the ones from Lowes.

3) Is there anything I should know before drilling the knob holes? For instance, when I was drilling the holes for the drawer fronts, I learned to place a piece of wood on the backside of the wood that I was drilling to prevent the wood from splintering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Tape off the extra holes on the template so you don't put a hole in the wrong place. One benefit of going the cheap route of making my own templates from scrap wood - only one set of holes.
I find that a faster RPM drill makes for less bit clogging.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 2:14PM
aidan_m

"For instance, when I was drilling the holes for the drawer fronts, I learned to place a piece of wood on the backside of the wood that I was drilling to prevent the wood from splintering."

That was going to be my suggestion, but you already figured this out. God job.

Carpenters never buy templates. You can make better ones in the shop.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 9:42AM
sombreuil_mongrel

No, don't drill before finishing, if you wipe the stain you'll get drag marks. I like to use a special drill bit that's a hybrid brad point type made by Festool in a 4mm size. It doesn't tear out from either side.
Casey

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:11PM
saltidawg

When I used those plastic templates in my kitchen, I put blue painter's tape on the underside of the template - it helped the template from wanting to move and protected the cabinet face from being scratched.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:56

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Rejuvenating Bedroom Furniture Finish
My DH (he was a custom cabinet maker for many years)...
malna
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™