insulated glass unit on stud replacement help

messyguyJuly 29, 2013

Hi,
We have floor to ceiling glass windows on one side of the house in Washington state. They are just single paned glass on wall stud ( finished wood frame ) hold with wood stops. We want to replace them with insulated glass units. We need help with these questions:
1. The installation guideline for insulated glass units. We couldn't find it anywhere!

2. Beside homedepot and local glass shop , is there a better place to purchase them (IGUs)
We appreciate your feed back!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StrongWindows

The local glass shop would be the place to go, not HD. The local glass shop will be able to advise you on the best glass based on your conditions. They would be the cheapest source for IGs too.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 7:21AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

1. I would opt for a full frame unit, personally, because of its ability to accommodate water drainage and any water that might make it past the primary seal of the glass to frame connection.

2. Glass shop or local supplier.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 7:26AM
oberon476

WoW - +1

By far the single biggest reason for IG failure with modern systems is water. Unless some provision is made for keeping water away from the edge of the IG, you will have problems down the road.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 7:42AM
Fenestration_Taylor

100% agree with the above posts. I've seen this mistake in homes before. If the situation isn't ideal (proper space between the glass and frame, glazed correctly, paint and maintenance every few years) the glass will fail in a matter of years. Have a professional do it from a glass shop or even better have someone install a direct set unit from a manufacturer.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 1:39PM
messyguy

thanks guys for the feedback. I agree with all that insulated glass units may require lot of maintenance and pose some potential failure like you guys said. Full frame unit won't look right since that side of the house there is no dry wall, only wood frame.
I will post a picture next week.
Thanks,

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 2:42AM
More Discussions
Gigantic skylight needs replacing
A windstorm wisked away the living room skylight in...
coolbeansw
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™