Window treatments in Kitchen and Family Room

skeylargoAugust 20, 2012

I have a Kitchen opened to the Family Room and need to do window treatments for it. The family room has sliding door, there is a regular door leading to the outside and a bay window in the kitchen - all on one wall. I will be making some kind of swagged valances with horns and jabots (exact pattern TBD)

- Do I make the same window treatment with the same fabric for all three areas?

- How do I make a valance for the regular outside door to coordinate with the bay window and the sliding door?

I will be also making a seat cushion for the bay window.

Margo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skeylargo

I did not know how to attach more than one picture so here's a second picture with the kitchen bay window

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 1:47PM
skeylargo

i am having issues with pictures today :)

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 1:48PM
ellendi

This is a tough one. My first thought was matcing cellular shades on the doors.
If you want a blind with the swags you will be making, I would match all the blinds. (You wouldn't put cellular under swags.)
The bay can be treated as a whole separate area.
I know others will come up with a more imaginative plan, and I will be floowing your post.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:06PM
chispa

What jumped out at me from the photos was the painted and stained trim in the same space. My opinion, is that it makes the space look unplanned or unfinished.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:15PM
sherrmann

I don't know, chispa. I have painted and stained in the same place because that is how I wanted it. I like it that way.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:33PM
ellendi

I like the wood too, but it's true it will look more cohesive if the wood is painted.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:51PM
Annie Deighnaugh

First question is do you want window treatments for decoration? light control? and/or privacy?

First blush, I would use coordinating but not matching fabrics on the slider and the bay window and I wouldn't treat the door at all. If I had to treat the door, I'd look at the double shirred or the encased blinds. On the slider, if I needed complete privacy, I would put a large valance, off centered, across the top and stack full length drape panel to one side only so that they will stack back completely onto the wall during the daytime and shut all the way at night.

On the bay window, you have the option of treating the front of the window only, or treating the windows themselves in an angled fashion. I did the latter with my bay window.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:48PM
skeylargo

I do not need to worry about the privacy. It is mostly for decorative purposes. Considering putting sheer maybe on a slider just to add softness. Do not want to put long drapes on bay since once again no privacy issue and there is a heater at the bottom of the bay.
For the bay, I was going to just put the valance across on the outside wall, not on the window itself. I was going to bring the valance up just couple of inches from the crown molding on both the slider and the bay.
For the door, I vaguely remember seeing mounting hardware that opens with the door but can't remember were (I think it was for french doors but same idea).

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Is this still in style?
Is blue and brown still in style? I really like this...
FinallyHome
Would love your input on refreshing this exterior!
Hi all, I have some ideas, but I'm not in love with...
Kristin Jennings
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™