running electric to a Mobile mini unit

acokpiFebruary 11, 2013

I have a 60amp box running to an out building from the house. getting a temorary mobile mini unit that has a 100amp panel box. Can I run an appropriate gauge wire from the 60 amp to the 100 amp sub panel? I only need 40 amps in the mobile unit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You can put subpanels that are larger in capacity than your feeder is. That's fine. You must put a breaker in the feeding panel sized to the ampacity of the feeder wires, so if 40A is what you need you can use #8 copper in the feeder and a 40A breaker. If you actually have 40A of load (as opposed to needing a 40A feeder), you may wish to size things up to #6 and a 60A feeder breaker.

I don't know what a "mobile mini unit" is, but I suspect you may need to install a grounding system for it as well.

    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 8:31AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
Same circuit for AC air handler and whole-house fan?
Hi, I've got a furnace/air handler in my attic. I was...
Sponsored Products
Fir Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Tom Dixon | Lustre Light - Round Pendant Light
$520.00 | YLighting
ProAire Ductless Type-A Recirculating Kit for Wall-Mount Range Hoods
Signature Hardware
Ledino Flushmount No. 31605 by Philips
$198.00 | Lumens
Cordless Brown Juniper Garland
Grandin Road
Design Element Portland 30" Single Sink Wall Mount Vanity Set - White
Modern Bathroom
Artifort | Bono Sofa
Blendtec Twister Jar with Spatula
$119.95 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™