installing casablanca w84 wall switch

fabillardFebruary 16, 2013

hi all. have a question. i installed a casablanca holliston fan and im trying to install the wall switch that came with it (model w84).
the wires coming out of the switch are a black, a black with a white stripe in it, a red which is capped that the manual tells u not to use and a green wire. the manual tells you to hook the black wire with white stripe from the switch to the power source black wire coming from wall and black wire from switch to the other black wall wire. it also says to connect the green to the bare wire. well all i have coming out of the wall is a black, white, a bare wire and red (yes its 14/3 wire that is not used cause the fan switch splits the power between the light kit and fan). i dont have a second black wire coming in that they tell you to use. do i hook black/white stripe wire from the switch to black from wall, the black from switch to the white from the wall and the green to the bare wire from the wall? any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Most likely what you have here is a "switch loop", the power runs to the fan box and then is fed down to you (if they obeyed the code) on the white wire. The black wire then is the feed to the fan motor.

Of course, that presumed that whowever installed this the first time followed the rules. Some checking with a meter will verify the issue (the white wire should be at 120V and the black at zero).

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Sponsored Products
Capri Two-Light Wall Sconce - Dark Granite Finish with 6 Inch Sea Shell Glass
$132.00 | Bellacor
Kovacs Pierce Modern Contempo Wall Swing Lamp
1800Lighting
Faceted Wall Mirror
| Dot & Bo
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. New Construction Recessed Metallic
$39.15 | Home Depot
Distinctive Three-Light Wall Sconce
$298.00 | Bellacor