Help me change the receptacle on an extension cord

joann23456February 5, 2010

I need a very short extension cord with just one receptacle, instead of the usual three. I have changed out the plugs on extension cords before, and I figured it would be similar, but I ended up with a part and no instructions. Can someone help?

When I open up the replacement receptacle, there are two screws, one gold and one silver. There's an arrow pointing to the silver side that says "strip" and an an arrow on the gold side that says "gage". The receptacle is 15A 125V and rated for light duty, as is the extension cord.

The extension cord is a simple 2-prong cord. I cut it, and both wires are copper-colored.

I'm trying to figure out which side of the cord goes into which side of the receptacle. Ribbed side to ???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Ribbed = neutral

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 3:15PM
joann23456

Thanks, but I need more information! Does the neutral wire go on the side that says "strip" or the side that says "gage"?

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 9:49PM
hendricus

That's one word 'strip gage', there should be a line there showing how much insulation to strip of the end of the wire.

The neutral wire goes on the larger blade and the hot goes on the smaller blade.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 10:44PM
ind_mike

the "strip" is just a gauge of how much of the insulation to strip off. white wire goes to silver screw, blk. wire goes to brass screw and dont forget green goes to green screw. some of the cheaper recptls. use gold cromate as the brass screws and zinc plated screws for the silver. (zinc with clear cromate plated screws will have a blue tint to it.Also the silver screw sideis the longer slot of the recptl.and each screw is connected by a metal jumper.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 10:47PM
normel

Ribbed to silver screw, smooth to darker screw. Twist the wire counterclockwise, then wrap around the screw clockwise. Make sure no extraneous pieces of wire are sticking out from either screw.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™