Need advice re: installing wall-mounted bookshelves

ninjabeansFebruary 15, 2013

Hi all - I recently moved into a rental apartment and had some long wood shelves made that I would like to install on a long living room wall for all my books. The shelves are 1" thick pine, and 3 of them are 6'-8" and one is 8'-8". The wall is 5/8" sheetrock on what I was told was a full 3-5/8" metal stud, about 16" on center. The brackets are heavy metal 10"x10"x1/4"th galvanized steel I got from McMaster-Carr w/ 4 screw holes on each to attach to the wall.

My question is - if I install in the studs, do I need a wall anchor? If so, what kind? Is this even advisable? I was told I should rip out parts of the wall to install wood blocking - this is a rental and I just painted that wall, so that's REALLY not an option.

Any advice would be SUPER helpful. THANKS!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The problem is that anchoring to even steel studs will not take all them much weight without blocking to spread the load over a larger area.

The folded edge of the stud will flex under load and the drywall start to crack around the attachment points.

Bookcases would likely be a better option, or some vertical supports to the floor from the shelves to transfer some of the load.

Even relatively small cross sections of hardwood usually have a high load capacity vertically.
You could use small 'posts' at the front and back of the shelves to get weight to a lower shelf, and finally to the floor preserving a lot of the 'open' appearance.

Even a 1 inch x 2 inch 'post' from a decent hardwood has incredible vertical load strength (parallel to the 'grain'.

You do not need 2x4s hardwood sections for something like this.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 12:10PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You really need to contact your landlord before either painting or drilling into the walls. Most would have a conniption fit and initiate eviction ASAP. And don't think that he won't find out either.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:08PM
ninjabeans

Thanks but the landlord knows all about it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™