Is vinyl ok? United Window &Door- new home

fish7577June 19, 2009

Is anyone familar with "United Window & Door Mfg" out of new Jersey? My builder gave us the option of Anderson 400 series windows or United brand vinyl windows. I'm ok with vinyl windows (we looking for the white painted finish if it were wood). The United windows were much cheaper. We will need around 36 windows, so it's a big cost savings.

Is there another vinyl manufacturer that is the best for the money? I'm heard mixed reviews of Anderson 400. Not that we'll be "tilting" the windows often for cleaning, but the tilting function on the 400's leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tube

Vinyl in new construction is a crime in my opinion. My parents did vinyl in an addition a few years ago and several need replaced. (glass cracking & seal failure) A builder I know who used 400 series for years tried United Windows and switched to back to 400 series because he had too many call backs. I am pulling all the vinyl out of my house and replacing with Marvin Ultimate Double Hungs & Casemasters. If you do not like the tilt of the 400 series check the Marvin Integrity line. Price wise that are very similar to the 400 series. I wouldn't mess around with the 200 series.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 7:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dwpc

If they made their doors in replacement sizes, I'd have ordered Integrity in a heartbeat. Fiberglass is a structural material and can be painted if you want to change colors someday. Vinyl has no strength and can't be painted. Basically, vinyl = cheap.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Window Manufacturers
Ladies and Gents: Wife and I are shopping brands for...
GoldenBear
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Sponsored Products
10-Pc. Assorted Ceramic Vessel Set
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
'Stand By Me' Wall Art
$11.99 | zulily
Mirror Image Chippendale Mirror 20061
Beyond Stores
Saloom Furniture | Grace Rectangular Extension Dining Table
YLiving.com
Peter Clown Alarm Clock
$139.00 | Bellacor