General cost of trimming (casing) windows

brian7972riFebruary 4, 2008

Hi, we have a relatively new colonial with no window casings. We have about 7 double windows and 2 smaller windows (bathroom). All we want is simple mitered casing with a stool and skirt below the stool. I will prime and paint myself.

Can anyone give me an idea of what we should anticipate for cost of this project from an experienced trimworker? I know labor prices value widely from region to region, so I recognize that this request is somewhat unscientific. I just don't know whether we're looking at $50 per window or $125. (We're in New England).

Thanks,

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Even "New England" doesn't mean much, as you could be in some depressed rural backwater or an upscale Boston suburb. In the best case scenario (inexpensive materials and a cheap handyman) I doubt the price would be lower than your $50 suggestion, and the $125 is entirely believable too. The casing and sill for a typical double-hung window could consume somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 linear feet of stock, at a buck-and-change per foot for pine, plus labor. There's also the question of whether the jambs of your windows are flush with the drywall; jamb extensions, if necessary, would require additional material and labor. There's no shortcut to a meaningful number here; you'll have to get some quotes.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brian7972ri

Thanks Jon, we have someone coming out for a quote this week, and I wasn't even sure what ballpark he might be in (hence the post). You're right, though, there are too many variables to arrive at even a good ballpark, I guess. We'll see what he quotes us and I'll report back for a reality check.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™