recessed plywood panel, cabinet construction

davetzFebruary 17, 2009

Hi-

I'm building a kitchen banquette which has two recessed panels on the back rest (shaker styling, like this one: http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa77/kitchenkelly/DSC00260.jpg ), each panel is about 24" X 33" I have the option of using 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and am leaning towards 3/4" since I think it has more structural stability for this fairly large panel.

I am wondering, with either of these materials, if I can screw them into the frame from the back or is it absolutely necessary to have them floating for expansion? That is, it there really lots of expansion with a 3/4" plywood piece or can it be fastened in place? Otherwise I can fasten it with strips from the back without actually screwing into it. I know this isn't the most professional way to do it, but it's what I can do with my current equipment.

Any feedback/advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

With plywood, you can simply screw them in place. Only with solid wood is it critical to leave panels floating.

1/2" ply, BTW, is almost certainly plenty.

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 11:52AM
davetz

Thanks Jon--you think the 1/2" will be stiff enough for resting backs against?
Thanks for the input--love the forum!
dave

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 1:15PM
Jon1270

Assuming that the material will be supported all the way around by a rigid frame of some sort, yes -- I do think 1/2" ply will be plenty. Another thing to consider, though, is how far recessed you want the panel to be. In the pic it looks like the panel is only about 1/4" back from the face of the frame. If you screw your plywood to the back of 3/4" frame stock, there will be a 3/4" step which may be uncomfortable. If you cut a rabbet in the frame to accept the panel, there won't be much wood in front of the panel to screw into.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™