Laminate Counter question

iinsicFebruary 17, 2006

I am using my old kitchen cabinets in my basement workshop and need to install a counter over them. I had planned to purchase a stock 8' laminate counter at a big box store. My cabinet run is around 7 1/2'. What is the best tool/blade to use to cut this counter to size and slightly round the outside edge without doing significant damage to the laminate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom999

Cutting to size is easy. You will NOT be able to round over laminate. Laminate is a thermo plastic. Meaning, it has to be heated to be bent, and once bent it will want to stay in that shape. You can Clip the corner, and apply a cap to it, or you can ease the edge and apply a cap.
To cut it you can use a hand saw, skill saw, jig saw etc. make sure you cut into the laminate. This means the blade will cut on the down stroke. Most skill saws cut on the upstroke, so you would need to cut from the back side. Same with Jig saws, tho you can purchase down cutting jig saw blades. I would put a piece of masking tape over the area to be cut, and just use a handsaw, following your line. Sand the end with a belt sander and if needed apply an end cap using contact adhesive.

Good Luck !

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 8:46PM
stonegrowngarden

I've always had good luck with a good sharp circular saw, only flip it over and cut on the back or bottom of the countertop.If you are unsure of the saw alone you can also cut the top a little long(1/8 in.)with the circular saw and use a router with a straight cutting bit to finish the cut,but you'll have to clamp a straight edge to the top for a fence.You can't round over the edge the cap on the end is best and defenatly belt sand the edge.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 9:03PM
norwega

DH has the tools above. Is it hard to do a cutout for a sink? I hope to use the stock laminate from HD or Lowes for our bath and wet bar remodel.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 3:27PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Assuming it's a drop-in sink, cutting the hole isn't hard at all because the lip of the sink will cover any mistakes. Sinks typically come with a template, just use that an a jig saw. You can use a fairly aggressive blade.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
Best Finish over Oil Based Stain
I stained my table with Early American by Minwax, both...
logies101
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™