Cigarette Smoke Damage to Tabletop

vallen1February 11, 2011

We recently inherited a beautiful 1950s mahogany dining suite from my mother-in-law who was a very heavy smoker. She kept a lace tablecloth on it for years, and once removed, we discovered a "pattern" etched into the tabletop finish; where the holes were in the cloth there is now a dull finish. The stain in not compromised, appears the damage is only to the finish. The rest of the table and sides still have a beautiful shine. There is also a cherry secretary where the finish is "dulled" in places, we believe from the smoke, too. We used oil-based polish and looked good for a day, but then the dullness returned. Any suggestions short of refinishing the pieces which we do not want to tackle? We've thoroughly cleaned & polished both, but didn't really affect the finish issues. Tung oil, linseed oil, lemon oil have any effect? Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

The old finish is damaged. It has to be removed to repair.

The finish may be shellac or lacquer. Both of those finishes can be repaired without a lot of mess, but you will need to learn how. Or have someone refinish them.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 12:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Try cleaning with paint thinner.

It will not harm shellac or lacquer, but is good at removing cigarette tar that may have collected.

"Oil based polish" is not going to remove surface dirt.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™