Digital Photo Frame Project

skip97January 28, 2008

I am working on a making a frame that will display 7 photos in a row. Along with that is another frame that will display 3 photos. I am concerned that the longer frame (see photo link below) will warp since the top and bottom pieces are a little over 4 feet long. Are there any suggestions to prevent this warpage or do you feel it won't be a problem? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of frame

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Warpage depends on a lot more factors than size. The biggest thing to pay attention to is moisture content, because wood changes shape and size as it absorbs or looses moisture. If your lumber is acclimated to normal indoor conditions before you build anything out of it, it'll stand a better chance of remaining fairly stable.

That said, it looks like you used just about the poorest quality wood available, and chose some marginal construction techniques. That cheap, knotty, home-center pine is not great stuff, and mitering the corners on such wide pieces is just begging for the thing to disassemble itself.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 7:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skip97

Thanks for your feedback Jon. I used knotty pine since our cabin in Maine has several walls of knotty pine done about 9 years ago. No big box stores within 50 miles of here so it's from a lumber yard and was extra so it's well acclimated. The idea was to have a casual look in tune with the rest of the place. It will be interesting to see how it winters over.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™