refinishing an end table

sewlutionsJanuary 28, 2011

I have a couple of end tables that were purchased about 30 years ago. Carelessness has resulted in cracks in the finish. So, I need to refinish or paint the tables. What is the best way to strip the old finish? I've thought about sanding the top only and painting it. I've refinished furniture before, but always dealt with much older furniture-so the finishes were different. THanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

I would probably strip the end table with strong (methylene chloride) stripper, because there may be 30 years worth of pledge or other silicone-based polishes there just waiting to spoil your refinishing job. Sanding won't remove the silicone.
Casey

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 12:31PM
sewlutions

Thanks! I'm sure that at one time I did use Pledge and other stuff. Sounds like it will be a warm weather job!

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 2:52PM
bobismyuncle

Stripping won't necessarily remove the Pledge, either. Pledge will cause the new finish to fish-eye (create little craters in the finish). If there is any chance of Pledge contamination, I spray on a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac. While I buy in bulk, you can get it in an aerosol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bullseye.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 7:59PM
brickeyee

You can also add 'fish eye eliminator' to the new finish (it is actually more silicone).

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™