Newest bowling ball

daisymeAugust 30, 2009

Here's "Midnight on the Midway". I double colorwashed over white grout and hope the color holds. I'll put UV spray on it and seal the grout. I'm kind of thinking I might keep it on the front porch with my purple/blue flowers out of the sun. But I'll probably also put it in the Christmas sales just in case someone liked it enough to support my habit of buying yet more plates.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Beautiful! It's got the WOW factor going on . . .

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 4:58PM
mermaidmosaics

Daisy, I love those colors. The colorwash sure gave you a gorgeous purple grout color. Love it. What's a uv spray? You gotta put it on your porch where you'll see it all of the time, and maybe just forget to take it to your Christmas sales. LOL

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 8:05PM
daisyme

I'm THINKIN' about forgetting the Christmas sale on this one. Thank you, Mermaid and Silva!

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 8:35PM
vee78910

Good heavens, that's gorgeous! Please tell me what a colorwash is. How does it color the grout? Thanks for the help. Cheers, Vee

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 8:38PM
daisyme

A colorwash is a wash of acrylic paint over the grout in whatever intensity you wish. This is the first time I tried this on a piece that I hope will survive outdoors and not fade. I just couldn't get the deep color I wanted by coloring the grout alone. To get the intense cobalt blue I washed over bright white grout. A friend suggested that I do a colorwash right away to get the color to sink into the wet grout and then do a second coat, which I did. It was also suggested to me to use a good quality acrylic paint that I could get it at Michaels in their better materials section.

The UV spray is an ultra violet spray (purchased at Jo Anns) that I'm putting on in hopes of holding the bright blue in the colorwash from fading in the sunlight.

I'm rather deciding to use this on my porch to keep it out of direct sunlight, but otherwise I'm really happy with it. Thanks for your comments and questions. This is always fun!

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 10:02PM
nanatricia

That turned out real good love the color.Also if you use out door pant it will hold up in color better have done it a lot.

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 10:17PM
cathyscache

That is way cool!!! Great colors..I guess I'm gonna have to try that colorwash thing!!!!

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 11:10PM
daisyme

Nana, thank you for your idea. What kind of outdoor paint do you use? I just didn't think I could get or make that cobalt color any other way than to buy it, and I think of outdoorpaint coming in really big buckets. I think you can buy small samples now though. Does it go on pretty thick? Can you just wipe off the excess like you do with acrylic paint?

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 7:52AM
texasfern

That is a beauty.
The colors are wonderful.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 9:42AM
nanatricia

You can buy patio pant at Hobbylobby or micheal or at some walmart.The gloss pant is also for out doors.Another hting I do islook for oops pant but that is just to have on hand .

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:09PM
emtnest

Lovely Ball ya got there!!!! You know don't you that cobalt is my fav....:)

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 11:48PM
daisyme

Nana, thank you for that information on the patio and gloss paint that's for outdoors. I'll look for it!

Emtnest. Thanks! And, no I didn't know cobalt was your fav. But I do now!

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 11:09AM
texaswild

You're not selling that beauty. LOVE it - great china pattern. Wish I could find stuff like that in my area.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 4:38AM
More Discussions
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™