Finish for maple stairs

puckhogJanuary 25, 2008

Hello....Im fitting unfinished maple treads and veneer risers over a paint grade set of stairs. I want a natural finish to match the nearby floors, so what would be a good choice to finish the project. How many coats and should I be looking at gloss, semi, or a satin?

Thanks for helping

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

The gloss level is of no consequence...get the gloss level that you think will look good with your existing floor and the stair railing. Some people consider their stairwork to be furniture and so they apply satin.

Find out what finishing product was used on the nearby floors, if they are unfinished on-site. If they are prefinished, then you will have to make a blind call on what to use.

I use commercial waterborne two-part wood floor finishes and know very little about the oilbase products, except to say that they take forever to cure and are prone to marring until that curing is complete.

Hopefully more folks will come in with their recommendations for you.

Whatever you chose to work with, test first to see if you will like the results and only work with products specifically rated for use on floors.

The commercial quality waterborne polyurethanes will give you the lightest results, if that is what you're after.

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
Wood Countertop Oil? Tung vs Mineral
I am going in 2 different directions for my Island...
2LittleFishies
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™