Tips for Painting a Picture Frame Faux Gold?

leafy02August 20, 2011

My Goodwill donations had been in the back of my car for a month and I finally drove over to drop them off today...and my reward was a terrific score: a large faux-bamboo framed picture (and two lamps!).

I am going to ditch the picture and use the frame to frame some vintage wallpaper, but first I'd like to paint the frame gold to coordinate with the other frames in my bedroom.

Does anyone have any tips (or know of any online tutorials) for using paint to look like gold leaf, or "old" gold frames?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailrunnerbiker

I have had great luck with Sophisticated Finishes. You can buy it online or at Michael's. It is real metal in solution. Very easy to use, goes a long way and dries quickly. Use a small brush and feather it on till you have the look you want. Way better than spray paint as this goes on lighter and you have more control. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing pics. c

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 1:47PM
patty_cakes

I use an acrylic antique gold paint and when dry, brush on a mushroom color and wipe off to the desired color I want. You could also use a darker brown if you want the finished frame to be darker.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 4:38PM
highknitter

Michaels sells something that is cream in a small pot. You rub it on. I love it. Sorry I don't have the details. The container is about the size of a cream eyeshadow or cream blush. You'll have control, won't have to mask, etc. I highly recommend. I don't recall exactly where it is located but I'm sure one of the clerks can help out.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:33PM
leafy02

Thanks for the tips. I didn't make it to Michael's this weekend, hopefully I will get there this week--it's only four blocks from my house!

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:44PM
rexroat

A product to consider is Rub-N-Buff.

I learned about it on this blog...
http://isabellaandmaxrooms.blogspot.com/search/label/Rub%20%27n%20Buff

...and I just used it cover a light fixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rub-N-Buff

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:56PM
sombreuil_mongrel

I learned a long time ago to apply clear shellac over metallic gold paint (bronze powder) so that it stays bright, otherwise it will fade to a darker or greener color in a few years as the bronze tarnishes.
Casey

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 10:23AM
leafy02

I finished painting the frame last night and it looks great!

After a fruitless hunt for Sophisticated Finishes at my local Michael's and being scared of all the caution info on the liquid gilding product, what I purchased were three colors of Martha Stewart craft paint: a medium brown in satin finish, metallic gold and metallic yellow-gold.

Using a natural sea sponge, I applied the brown first and let it dry. Then I went over the frame with both of the golds, pretty much blending them together.

It looks just as I'd hoped--like it's always been gold, and like it's old. It's propped up on my buffet with three or four pictures in vintage frames that I haven't hung up yet (we've only been here 2.5 years) and it looks right at home among them.

I love it when a project actually turns out to be easier than I feared :)

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 11:03PM
trailrunnerbiker

please post pics :) c

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Office ready for window treatments - WWYD?
I finally hung the diplomas and DH's favorite print...
2pups4me
what is IKEA Stocksund?
IKEA Stocksund So, I found this sofa cover on the IKEA...
nosoccermom
Help with window treatments
Hi, we put in new living room windows, and now I need...
marbelle21
Bright solid or bold print to reupholster settees?
Anyway, I bought a pair of vintage settees for my 'formal'...
sloedjinn
Sponsored Products
Flos | Skygarden S1
YLighting
Cloud 9 Concealed Thermostatic Twin Shower Faucet & Diverter 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Howard Elliott Barcelona Gold Leaf 34" x 46" Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Cobblestone Rug 7'6" x 9'6" - GOLD
$899.00 | Horchow
Comfort Cloud Gold Medal 5-foot Foam Bean Bag
Overstock.com