Recommend generator?

jscozzFebruary 1, 2011

I am ready to install a whole house generator. When I built the house I did all the electrical and have all loads In want on the generator wired into a separate subpanel with space ready for the transfer switch in between. I am looking for recommendations on what brand will be best for what I am looking for:

1) Approx 20-25 KW (power all loads on a 100A subpanel if necessary)

2) Nat gas

3) Quiet (about 100 ft from neighbor's house)

4) I really want one with some automation... ie. cat-5 interface with PC or iPhone app based monitoring, control, etc., and contact closure interface to let automation system know when unit s running, or even possibly trigger it to turn on.

I have looked at Kohler, Generac, Honda, etc... but would appreciate some real-world experience from those of you who own or install them as to what might be the best for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I've got a Generac on my house (propane). It's an 80KVA unit so it's not exactly quiet but not terribly noisy unless you are standing right next to the thing.

There's a computer interface though I've not tried to use it yet. I'm too busy automating the HVAC at this point to worry about the generator.

I do have a handful of WIFI to relay and WIFI to RS-232 things that I have been using for various things. They run a bit over $150.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 2:08PM
wayne440

The first one thing to decide is the importance of your standby power needs- if you have a standby set and it fails, what are the results? If you are putting a set in just to avoid discomfort, you will be more concerned with cost and less with the ultimate reliability than a person with more critical needs. If you are like most homeowners, you will end up with a set that is built for and marketed to residential users. They are better than nothing, but NOT suitable for any critical use.

On the other hand, if you have a critical need for power, or you want it really quiet (or both) you will spend more $$ and I suggest you get a reputable generator vendor to actually visit your site and make a recomendation. A good dealer can be far more important than who makes the generator in some cases, but certainly not all. I have made my brand preferences clear several times before, so I'll skip that.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 10:11PM
sniffdog

I didn't see Cummins Onan on your list. This was my first choice based on performance but I wound up picking Kohler because the authorized Onan service companies were just too far away from my house. I liked that the Onan unit I was interested in idled at 1800 rpm (vs the Kohler that idles at 3600 rpm) - better fuel effiecincy, less wear and tear on the engine, quieter. But in the end, I had to go with Kohler and am very happy with it.

I installed the generator myself but it is a 12kW unit and that is a lot smaller and lighter than a 20-25kW. My unit only weghs 400 pounds and was fairly simple to put it. It is very quiet - air cooled.

If you plan on buying one and doing it yourself, check out the link below. I bought my genset and ATS from them and was happy with the price and delivery.

If you live in a very cold climate, ask about the battery warmer and carburetor warmer accessories. They may offer a computer interface accessory for the ATS as well.

Goodluck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ziller Electric

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Where to find power connectors for the LED under cabinet lights?
I bought a set of the GE/Jasco LED under cabinet lights...
flyingkite
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™