How to seal underground splices

supersport396February 27, 2008

I had 6/3 put in 1.5in conduit, had to make two splices and made them in 4x4x4" sealed junction boxes, the tops are sealed good but the pipes running into the boxes isn't completly watertight,to me atleast. Connections were made with split nuts, wrapped tightly with rubber tape, then regular electrical tape.

Still..I would like some other way of sealing these connections from water and shorting..is there some kind of tar or grease I can put around the splices before I close the boxes and finish covering it up.

Thanks

Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

Underground splice kit.
Underground conduit is NEVER dry. Consensation will make them wet even if completely sealed.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 2:23PM
itsunclebill

The boxes WILL fill with water. They are also supposed to be accessable without excavating any material (except gravel, sand or landscaping mulch/similar - and only then if there is a permanant marker to locate the box)

Underground splice kits are a must here but the reality is the box probably isn't big enough to contain them. A material like Scotchkote might do a reasonable job of sealing the splice but they will need several coats and you won't know for sure it worked or not till you have a failure.

The best way to do an installation like this is to use pullboxes similar to the boxes used for underground sprinkler valves. The conduit enters the open bottom of the box through 90s and the splice is made in the empty space between the box lid and the fill in the bottom of the box using underground splice kits. The fill is sand or gravel and it will drain away standing water so the splices don't sit in water all the time.

I'd really suggest you do something different even if it's install larger boxes than you have so UG splices can be used. If you have aluminum wire and it gets wet you're gonna have paste where the wire was real soon. If it's copper you might wind up with some exhorbitant electric bills and not know why as well as voltage issues on the load end.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 7:19PM
spencer_electrician

please don't say it is 6/3 NM Romex cable. If it is, it will be shot in a year

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 10:11PM
supersport396

It just regular 6/3, non underground cable from lowes.. heavy vinyl type outer insulation. It is in 1.5 conduit...

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 4:40PM
spencer_electrician

6/3 nm in a conduit full of water is dangerous and won't last long.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 10:31PM
joed

It just regular 6/3, non underground cable from lowes.. heavy vinyl type outer insulation. It is in 1.5 conduit...

Might as well pull it out now and start over. Use individual #6 THWN conductors this time with no splices.

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™