Who Installs Pool Light

Rob FlemingFebruary 15, 2014

Hi All:

Bought a house with existing in-ground pool with underwater light. I have to replace the light fixture and bought an LED fixture and bulb that has to be installed. I want to make sure that the fixture is properly installed and the electrical that it runs to (GFCI) which is mounted outside and is a good two feet above the light fixture is all working properly. Would I hire and electrician for everything or a pool guy? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I would find an electrician that has experience in pools and knows Article 680 cold. I would not trust either a "pool guy" or the average electrician. Call the a pool installer and ask for recommendations on a savvy electrician.

I can't parse the reset of your sentence. What is mounted two feet above the light fixture? Where is it mounted? How close to the waterline (rather than the fixture) both vertically and horizontally.

Even with low voltage fixtures you need to be careful. A tank full of water you are about to immerse your self and family in is no place for amateur electrical work.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 3:08PM
petey_racer

Couldn't agree more. Forget the pool guy, and find an electrician familiar with this stuff.

When I moved to where I am now I was amazed at how little the local guys knew about pools, especially built-in. Where I was before (Long Island) pools, especially built-in, were commonplace, and I had wired many

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 8:07PM
btharmy

I would call a few pool contractors in the area and find out what electrical contractors they typically use for their electrical installations.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Sponsored Products
Neon De Luz Wall Light by Marset
$712.00 | Lumens
Hinkley Lighting 2045SN Bingham Sienna Outdoor Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Trac 12 TLP Pendant Cordset
Lightology
Halo 3 in. White Shower Trim with Regressed Lens 3012WHWB
$36.99 | Home Depot
16" Stained Glass Grape Shade Tiffany Home Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Rockford Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Baby Photo Frame
$22.00 | FRONTGATE
Progress Lighting P3242-15 Michael Graves Three-Light Chrome Bath Light With Etc
Progress Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™