Birdhouse gourd

flagtruckAugust 24, 2008

Here's a WIP to whet your appetite! I am using birdhouse gourds that I grew last year. I cleaned them, washed them with bleach water, dried and then two coats of Kilz. I am using Dap acrylic kitchen and bath adhesive and GEII.(Whichever I pick up) It is going smoothly and giving me lots of practice with my keystoning. It keeps raining and keeping me indoors so I am making tiles and working on this gourd. Stay tuned for more pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdhouse gourd WIP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindiloo

Wow! It's so cool that you grow your own substrates!
This is going to be just beautiful! Love the design and colors and swirliness!

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 3:34PM
texaswild

OHGOODGRIEF! This makes me want to hang up my tools. CAROL: This is the prettiest gourd I've ever seen. Dang, I wish I could mosaic like that.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 5:33PM
flagtruck

You are my inspiration Slow. Don't let that broken foot slow you down...you have done a lot more beautiful pieces than I will ever think about doing.
Thanks Cindiloo...just puttering around..I drew this out on paper and doodled with it then drew it on the gourd.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 5:36PM
barbfrizzell1955

You just doodled that? Wow! I think your pattern and mosaicing are fantastic. I can't wait to see this finished!

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 6:04PM
Calamity_J

Looking good Flag!!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 6:55PM
scootsmom

Oh Dear Lawd!!!! This is beautiful!!! The colors are fantastic and the patterns are so cool. What a wonderful project.

Ok, now where is my list of to do's.I am running out of room on it.

Allyson

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 8:40PM
crackpotannie

Flag ,you and Slow are the most amazing women I think I've ever met.Both of you are such artist and such special people,I am so proud to know and you and have you share your beautiful art with me!

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 11:19PM
flagtruck

Thank you Annie, We think you are pretty great too.
Thanks to all of you for the compliments....I appreciate them.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 11:34PM
katishooked

Flag this is a beautiful BH. It's like having the Ritz for your fine feathered friends.

Kathy

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 6:33AM
ladyronnie

That is beautiful! DH is growing me some large gourds for martin boxes for next year. I showed him yours, and he's impressed as well :) I've only ever mosaicked a small one, posted in the past.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:00AM
texasfern

Wow! You nipping skills blow me away.
Great pattern, textures, color and on and on.
Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:39AM
terikat_mom

Wow, wow, wow! I love it! I love the designs, the colors!
So pretty!

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:46AM
katkerri

just gourdjess, flag!
such wonderful patterns!
could you explain a little bit
about what you mean by
"practicing keystoning" ?
i'm not sure what that means.
thanks,
k

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 12:00PM
Louisiana_greetings

great lookin B-house gourd. i love the design and colors. i have done a few, and the Carolina wrens love them. they made a family right on the back porch, behind the swing, it's fun to sit and watch them sneak around to thier house to feed the little ones.
maybe someone could do an exchange on mosaiced gourds??bonnie

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 12:39PM
flagtruck

Thanks to all of you.
Kat- Keystoning is making your tiles go around curves without leaving a big gap on the outside of the curve. Thus you cut each tile or every other tile at an angle to make the curve. Do a google on Sonia King and her new book, I think Amazon will show you an excerpt on it and it explains it better than I can.
Bonnie- I have some small gourds and some with a lot of shape to them, I am going to try them also. I just cleaned two huge bushel basket gourds,they will dry today and tomorrow I will work on the insides and get them cleaned out. I have a couple neat designs already worked out for them too. I work on this one inside in between doing the yard work and working in the garage on my ceramics.
Ronnie- When I clean these two big ones, I will share some seeds with you and any on the rest of you,let me know and I will share what I have.
This thing is fun to do and keeps me occupied, lol, like I need some more to do.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 2:45PM
cindiloo

I'd love to take you up on sharing some of those seeds! I think even I can grow a gourd or two without screwing it up!

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 3:35PM
curbdiver1954

That is gorgeous! The swoops and circles are perfectly suited to the contours of the gourd....not to mention perfectly executed! Any bird should be proud to call it home "tweet" home...LOL!

Pat

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 6:45PM
daisyme

Wow, Flag! That keystoning is absolutely beautiful and you show well how it works. It was really fun to get this photo right after getting the link to how this is done. Wonderful! I have a whole stack of plates with that same print design you used there. I wasn't sure it'd make up on a birdhouse really well. But...Hmmmmm, inspiration! Beautiful. I can hardly wait to see your group of these gourds finished.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 7:26PM
flagtruck

Cindiloo, send me your address and I will get some to you. flagtruk@flash.net

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:28PM
theeggshelllady

Sweet!!! this is the most beautiful gourd I've ever seen. I have a box of dried gourds. You've inspired me to try!!

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 8:22AM
mermaidmosaics

Oh my oh my.. how BEAU_TI_FUL!! and yes, LOVe that keystoning. You did great. I just saw your post of that and THANK you, can't wait to try it.

and since you grew the gourds yourself.. well how cool is that??

I LOVE YOUR COLORS and tess on this project!!!

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 1:58PM
Louisiana_greetings

to heck with the seeds :-) i WANT the gourds, matter of fact, i would like them already mosaiced and grouted :-)
just kidding! i just love the design, i had to scope it out again.
bonnie

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™