butcher block table refinishing

vrnutaJanuary 13, 2012

I want to refinish a round butcher block table (circa 1981). The original finish has worn away on parts of the tabletop. The wood is some light, ashy beigey wood. The finish, which was thin and wore away, made the wood appear golden. We liked the golden glow.

Do I assume correctly that I should (a) strip the remaining finish with a chemical stripper, and (b) then sand, and then (c) apply a new finish? What types of products should be used? What type of finish would provide the golden glow and make the tabletop hardy enough for the kitchen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Your planned approach is correct. A varnish would be about the most durable finish that you can apply outside an industrial setting.

Most quality oil-based varnishes will impart some amber color. "Golden Glow" means different things to different people. The natural color of the wood and the choice of varnish will have impact on the resulting color. Once stripped and sanded, wet the top with a bit of mineral spirits to get a preview of the natural color. If that's not enough color, you can use a stain before varnishing.

Waterlox would be an excellent choice. Polyurethane would do if you wish. Wiping on Arm-r-seal (General Finishes wiping poly) would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: wipe on varnish finish

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™