Help choosing grout color please!

clairedrennanAugust 17, 2011

Hi! I just stuck my first mosaic of any consequence to the wall and I really need some advice as far as grout color goes. I have both warm and cool colors as well as dark and light. I can't decide of I need to brighten the overall effect. It's a nightscape though so maybe a dark gray? I want to post a picture, how!?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

I would love to see a picture.
I have my pics on photobucket, but there are other on line storage sites. From there, I copy the html code (by clicking on it, and a tiny sign says "copied"), then I paste it right into my message.
A way to test grout color is to put some dry grout into the cracks of a portion of your mosaic. Then vacuum and blow it out. That is how I chose the colors for this little table.

The warm tan looked better with the table colors than gray. I had already grouted the bird dark grey as I wanted it to look like lead.
I chose gray for a lamp I made because it had bluish pinks in it and I thought that gray complemented that better than tan.
I never use white, but I have a friend who does and her things are beautiful. Her tess tends to be light background tho.
Hope this helps,
Kathy

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:09PM
texaswild

Welcome to the forum, CLAIRE: As for grout color, I got tired of worrying about what color to use, so years ago I switched to charcoal or black for everything. I'm always happy with the effects they give. CONCRETE: Be careful vacuuming your grout. I read on this forum that one artist ruined her vacuum cleaner just by vacuuming the floor. Apparently there was a little moisture inside, and the cement ruined her vacuum cleaner.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:22AM
rock_oak_deer

Welcome Claire, look forward to seeing your pictures.

Kathy-beautiful piece. Love that touch of the "dark side" with the shabby chic plates.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 3:48PM
concretenprimroses

Thanks slow that is a good point. I used my little cheapo hand vacuum and emptied it right away. But I did it without really thinking about why! Nice I do the right thing by mistake occassionally. Good to do it outside too, which is probably why I had the hand vac.
Kathy

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™