Building outdoor daybed?

alyx_cJanuary 15, 2013

I built stuff that is it still standing and working, by myself. Do I know what I am doing, no. But I will continue on. My next project is 2 outdoor daybeds that will each go on the side of a pergola so I won't need anything overhead. I sort of did this before but can't recall what happened. What I have build has been for outdoors and yet I still must ask, what type of lumber should I use? It will be stained bright white. This is the texas coast and it tends to be very hot, very salty, and windy. So any nails or screws must be stainless steel and I am more in favor of using screws than nails. The pergola will be 10x11 or so (being done by a professional to stand up to the high wind. I was thinking of making each day bed twin size or 9' long and 4'onyag or 3.5' wide. I would also do some sort of long table down the middle or 4 end tables and yes I will build those also. Should I do foam matresses with outdoor fabric? All advice is appreciated. As for tools I have used some but I learn as I go along and rarely read the manual so don't confuse me, it does not take much. :-)
Hubby does not help either, not his thing so I am on my own.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

There are outdoor fabrics such as Sunbrella and outdoor foam such as those used by marine upholsterers.

Miami Corp. is a major supplier of these. I don't do marine upholstery, but one of their branches is in town and the marine upholsterers I know use them or their FL branch. (disclosure: thus, no affiliation with them.)

"Miami Mike" is active on another forum I'm on and he's highly recommended by other members, mweunski@miamicorp.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Miami Corp website.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 8:50PM
alyx_c

Thank you! Duh, why didn't I think of Marine Foam.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 9:06PM
alyx_c

Thank you! Duh, why didn't I think of Marine Foam.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 3:04PM
amoraguelo

Ask Brady and Tim, the experts in outdoor daybed by Madbury Road

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor daybed

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Can I thin General Finishes oil-based Gel Stain?
My oak doors are finished in honey oak with polyurethane....
bisondaktelcom
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™