Tile trivets with wood molding edges

linnea56January 16, 2008

I bought some hand-painted tiles. I want to use them as trivets and also be able to hang them up on the wall when not in use as decoration. I donÂt want to re-invent the wheel, so I imagine someone here has made a lot of these and can advise me. I think I am making this way too complicated.

I plan on using some egg-and-dart oak molding that will tie in with other molding I have added in the kitchen. Under the tile itself I thought I would use some masonite or plywood. The tiles are a little thin, maybe 3/8 inch, so I think they need some backing. IÂm not sure how I should attach the molding to the base, whether it should be recessed or whatever. If the base is recessed, I would have to nail through the sides of the molding: therefore the base material would have to be thicker. Or could make a corner block. The egg-and-dart molding is rather thick and substantial.

And should the tile just be glued in? Since it will conduct heat I need to have a glue that will not weaken with heat, so the tile wonÂt fall out when hanging someday.

For hanging I was thinking about using a keyhole-type insert. Is there anything that would be better? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I have one of these that's 25 years old and used daily. I think you might be over analyzing. (Something I'm often guilty of). I just made a frame, cut a rabbet in the top and dropped the tile in with some glue. I probably just used yellow wood glue, but I can't really remember. Lately, I have started to use GOOP for a lot of mixed mode gluings. It keeps some flexibility and seems to hold well.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 6:17PM
linnea56

(I forgot to check the e-mail response box when posting so didnÂt know anyone had answered)

Thanks for your response, bobsmyuncle.
I do overanalyze, thatÂs true. What concerns me is that I want to be able to hang it on the wall, so donÂt want to have the tile drop out. Has anyone made a hanging one? I had not thought of Goop, I do have some. I donÂt have the equipment to rabbet, but having a wooden base under the tile will work as well.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 3:18PM
green-zeus

You could also use epoxy. A good one, like JB Weld is heat proof.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Can I thin General Finishes oil-based Gel Stain?
My oak doors are finished in honey oak with polyurethane....
bisondaktelcom
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™