Tile trivets with wood molding edges

linnea56January 16, 2008

I bought some hand-painted tiles. I want to use them as trivets and also be able to hang them up on the wall when not in use as decoration. I donÂt want to re-invent the wheel, so I imagine someone here has made a lot of these and can advise me. I think I am making this way too complicated.

I plan on using some egg-and-dart oak molding that will tie in with other molding I have added in the kitchen. Under the tile itself I thought I would use some masonite or plywood. The tiles are a little thin, maybe 3/8 inch, so I think they need some backing. IÂm not sure how I should attach the molding to the base, whether it should be recessed or whatever. If the base is recessed, I would have to nail through the sides of the molding: therefore the base material would have to be thicker. Or could make a corner block. The egg-and-dart molding is rather thick and substantial.

And should the tile just be glued in? Since it will conduct heat I need to have a glue that will not weaken with heat, so the tile wonÂt fall out when hanging someday.

For hanging I was thinking about using a keyhole-type insert. Is there anything that would be better? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I have one of these that's 25 years old and used daily. I think you might be over analyzing. (Something I'm often guilty of). I just made a frame, cut a rabbet in the top and dropped the tile in with some glue. I probably just used yellow wood glue, but I can't really remember. Lately, I have started to use GOOP for a lot of mixed mode gluings. It keeps some flexibility and seems to hold well.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 6:17PM
linnea56

(I forgot to check the e-mail response box when posting so didnÂt know anyone had answered)

Thanks for your response, bobsmyuncle.
I do overanalyze, thatÂs true. What concerns me is that I want to be able to hang it on the wall, so donÂt want to have the tile drop out. Has anyone made a hanging one? I had not thought of Goop, I do have some. I donÂt have the equipment to rabbet, but having a wooden base under the tile will work as well.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 3:18PM
green-zeus

You could also use epoxy. A good one, like JB Weld is heat proof.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Sponsored Products
Solid Copper Wall Tile with Bar Design
Signature Hardware
Ice Mosaic Solar Gazing Ball
$44.99 | zulily
Tracery Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. 6 In. x 8 Ft. 6 In. Rug
Bellacor
Bocci | 28.28 Square Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Marble Tile Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Tivoli Brown Resin Tile-patterned Bath Accessory 3-piece Set
Overstock.com
Sample- Sandscape Blend Brick Pattern 1/2� X 2� Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Somertile Victorian Hex Matte White Porcelain Mosaic Tiles (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™