Installing outside electrical

JpousFebruary 26, 2014

I presently have an electrical box in my home which at one time contained a switch for some interior device. It is being fed by a 12/2 w/ grd NM directly from my loadcenter. This circuit is no longer being used.

I wish to feed (underground) some decorative lighting and an outdoor receptacle 125' away at the front of my property from this box. I want the lighting to be controlled by a switch in this box, but I wish the receptacle to remain live.

I own 250' of 12/3 UF which I hope to use. The receptacle will be a wet area GFCI.

Is it ok to create the switched circuit to the lights on one conductor and the unswitched circuit to the receptacle on the other while tying the neutrals together at the load end? Or...will this require me to run the 12/3 all the way back to the loadcenter to run off of a 2-pole breaker?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

I don't understand why you show two conductors being switched at the indoor junction box. All you need to do is run 12/3 from that box to your loads. Switch the red wire and connect to the lights. Leave the black unswitched and connect to the GFI. The neutral gets connected to both.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:47PM
Jpous

To: ionized
Sorry about that. This particular schenario would allow me to switch the receptacle when not in use, or for Christmas lights, etc. I may still go with this arrangement.

So you see no problems or other requirements with sharing the neutral such as with a multiwire branch circuit?

Thanks

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 3:07PM
Ron Natalie

This is fine. You really only have one circuit here with two switched legs.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:36PM
Jpous

Thanks, guys!

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:43PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

If I'm seeing things correctly, You are using the ground wire as a grounded conductor?

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 2:41PM
Ron Natalie

I don't think you're seeing it correctly. 12/3 UF has three current carrying conductors as well as a ground. Similarly 12/2 NM has two current carrying conductors and a ground.

He just skipped drawing in the grounds.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:58PM
Jpous

To: wertach

I purposefully left the grounds off of the drawing so as not to clutter it up. I should have clarified.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:02PM
Jpous

To: wertach

I purposefully left the grounds off of the drawing so as not to clutter it up. I should have clarified.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:31AM
ionized_gw

Leaving the grounds out of a drawing like that to simplify the drawing is typical. Sometimes people include that fact in a notation.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™