confusion--too many names / brands / models

shadygroveJune 30, 2011

My head spins to the point of exhaustion when I read all the posts about replacement windows and I throw myself on your good graces, at the risk of repeating old information.

I would love to have some suggestions as to manufacturers / models for what seems to me to be my simple needs.

I need to replace fifteen windows, un-named brand and un-traceable, which were bought builder's grade presumably from Lowe's twenty-five years ago. The original windows are all now having some problems with the weird spring in their side sashes that keeps the windows gliding smoothly. I am unable to locate replacement parts or repair, as the windows were all originally placed in from the exterior as single-hung sealed units.

What I am looking for are aluminum exterior, wood interior, 30" x 60" windows without lites, either single- or double-hung, I don't much care, as plain as plain can be. Without installation, anything decent to last another twenty-five years in the $400-$500 range? I live in central Virginia.

I'm not trying to get out of doing my homework, its just an overwhelming number of brands.......

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Is the range that you threw out just on the materials or are you looking for an installed price?

I don't think your range will get you into a good clad wood windows installed by any stretch. That is right at the bottom end of the scale for what is normally good vinyl installation prices.

I consider a good clad wood window to be Marvin, Eagle, Loewen. Pella might make the lower end of that list as well but they seem to be fraught with issues.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:28AM
millworkman

I second wow, a decent wood/extruded aluminum clad window will cost you that all on its own without any installation.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:34AM
shadygrove

Yes, thanks. I had meant that figure to be the uninstalled price--for the materials alone. Any recommendations with that clarification?

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 12:00PM
skydawggy

The only thing you are going to find in that price range is going to be something like Trimline or Peachtree.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 6:58PM
shadygrove

Thanks for the Marvin, Lowen and Eagle recommendation.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 9:43AM
millworkman

It has been a few years since I sold wood windows but after thinking about it sky is correct, you won't touch a Marvin, or Loewen window for those price and I am sure Eagle will be more as well. Marvin is an excellent window but comes with a price, Loewen and Eagle in my opinion are ok to good windows but not in Marvin's class

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Installation of Steel Front Entry Door + Sidelites - 1 Man or 2?
Hello, everyone, I have posted here a few times about...
sahmmy_gw
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Gigantic skylight needs replacing
A windstorm wisked away the living room skylight in...
coolbeansw
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™