refinish kitchen cabinets

susan2009January 8, 2009

I want to refinish 25 year old high quality, custom cabinets. Don't know type of wood but stain appears to be walnut. I have cleaned the cabinets with manufacturer recommended spic and span but shiny,smooth, grease area remains around pull knobs, probably from hand oils. Also 2 cabinets have scratched areas around knobs down to bare wood. I've done furniture refinishing and done the complete job of stripping, sanding, staining and sealing but I don't want to change the cabinet color and am afraid if I strip I might not get an even stain color match with the cabinet boxes. For grease area what can I degrease with and can I then just sand and seal? Has anyone used Restorz-It internet product? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Remove the pulls/knobs and reclean with TSP---or whatever is sold as the replacement. Then lightly sand the sirfaces and try touching up the scratches with touchup sticks---rubbing in the compound with your finger.

Then recoat with varnish.

Sherwin Williams has a good regular varnish---and the TSP stuff. Other paint stores---NOT home improvement stores---real paint stores will have decent varnishes as well.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 10:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gailp

I used Restorz-it on the kitchen cabinets in our old house, prior to selling it. I only lived with it for about a year, so I don't know about its long-term durability, but it did a decent job. It did come out shinier than the original finish. Still, they weren't particularly high quality cabinets, and they were very detailed, and Restorz-it was a quick fix. WAY easier than stripping, sanding, etc. I know purists won't agree with me, but it's a cheap and easy temporary fix. Easy enough to touch up when needed also. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
Rejuvenating Bedroom Furniture Finish
My DH (he was a custom cabinet maker for many years)...
malna
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Sponsored Products
12 20" x 14" Placemats
$67.90 | Horchow
PURA Bowl by Blomus
$29.60 | Lumens
ACF by Nameeks ACF CP07-GW City Play 29-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glossy
Hayneedle
Palermo Backless Outdoor Bar Stool in White Finish, Patio Furniture
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Symmetry Chocolate Nonstick 6-Qt. Covered Chef Pan
$59.99 | zulily